Sunday, October 9, 2011

Happy Early Birthday to Me!

Tonight my dad and his lovely bride, Jody, drove in to have dinner with us for my birthday. Because going out is stressful, I offered to make dinner. Tommy grilled steaks, I made mashed potatoes and corn... and this pie.

http://glutenfreeeasily.com/chocolate-silk-pie-recipe-gluten-free-dairy-free/

YUM! It turned out better than I had hoped.

A little backstory, my dad LOVES chocolate pie. I don't think I had ever had it before I met him. His wonderful mother usually makes it for him for his birthday, and at most family gatherings. Her traditional chocolate pie was my inspiration for making this pie, which is gluten free and can be made dairy free and grain free. It also has no added sweetener in the actual pie filling except for the sugar in the chocolate chips, and because the crust is almond flour and honey, it's low carb. So it's healthy pie!

Gluten Free Chocolate Silk Pie

Crust

2 cups almond flour ( I used Bob's Red Mill, but if you are not cooking for someone with celiac disease, you could get away with Whole Foods' bulk almond flour, it's half the price!)
1/3 cup honey


Filling

1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips (I used Ghirardelli)
1/2 cup butter (dairy or non-dairy)
pinch of salt
1 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
3 eggs
2/3 cup canned full-fat milk of your preference (dairy, coconut)
1 tsp vanilla extract


Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray pie plate with cooking spray.

Mix almond flour and honey in a small bowl. Drizzle honey evenly over flour, then use a fork to completely incorporate. Using fingers, pat into a crust in greased pie plate. Set pie plate aside.

In a large microwave safe bowl, heat butter for 30 seconds, then stir in chocolate chips. Heat for 30 more seconds, then stir, then for about 20 more seconds. Chocolate and butter should be completely melted, watch it closely so it doesn't scorch. Bowl will be hot!

Add to bowl salt, cocoa powder, eggs, milk, and vanilla extract, whisking after each addition until you have a smooth mixture.

Pour filling into crust.

Bake 30 minutes or until filling has puffed and toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool completely.

Refrigerate until ready to serve.

Garnish as desired. I topped this pie with honey sweetened whipped cream.

Honey Whipped Cream


1 cup heavy whipping cream (or coconut milk)
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
2 teaspoons honey

Chill mixing bowl for at least twenty minutes prior to mixing. Add all ingredients to chilled bowl, then mix on high speed until thickened and, well, creamy, about 5 minutes. If you want to cover the entire top of the pie, you will need to double this amount, this is enough for a good heaping spoonful on each piece.


I changed a few things from the original recipe to suit my own needs. For example, next time I will mix the crust ingredients in a separate bowl and then press into a greased pie plate. I followed their instructions of mixing in the pie plate and the crust was completely stuck to the plate, but, duh, that's what honey does.

This brings me to the thought that this could be made crustless. The texture of the crust was nice, don't get me wrong, but if you are nut free, you wouldn't want the almond flour. The pie filling really firmed up nicely, and stood up to me having to dig the slices out of the plate, so I think an experiment is in order to see if I am right. It would also be a lot cheaper to make!

Also, I don't own a double boiler, nor am I talented enough to do the bowl over boiling water trick, so I cheated on the melting of the chocolate. But nobody complained about the process, they were too busy eating the pie!

No comments:

Post a Comment