Thursday, May 26, 2011

Now that I am calmer...

Thanks for all the kind thoughts and words from my post the other day. Kate's teachers are really sweet and supportive, I could not have asked for two more nurturing and kindhearted ladies to introduce Kate to a school setting. I hope she is as blessed next year! The funny thing about me is that I like things my way, so I don't always have an easy time accepting when things don't go so smoothly. But they do have her best interests at heart and have tried to work with us with all the ups and downs of this year.

But when your child is the one with an issue, you cannot assume that everyone is going to react as you are. It is not as important to them as it is to you, because it is your whole life, and maybe just 10% of theirs! These women have raised their own children and taught dozens of other people's kids for years, and maybe they never had an issue like this, but maybe they did. And maybe the way they handled it was by telling their beloved child that they were special and it made that child accept their difference and feel wonderful! But I know my child and I know myself and we always want more of an explanation than "...because, that's why." So Kate and I will continue to battle this, hopefully gently and gracefully, and hope that we encounter more lovely ladies and gentlemen along the way.

Here are the cookies that I made for Kate's end of the year party today. They went into the oven at 8:45 this morning, and again at 11:00 for Brookie and me! This recipe actually originated on the Land O'Lakes website. I modified it a little, adding the xanthan gum to an existing, pretty much identical flour blend instead of making another batch. I also didn't roll them out, I made them refrigerator or slice and bake cookies.

http://www.landolakes.com/recipe/1527/star-cut-out-cookies-gluten-free-recipe

GF Slice and Bake Sugar Cookies

1 c. granulated sugar
1 c. butter, room temp.
2 egg yolks, more or less room temp.
1 1/2 tsp vanilla
2 1/4 c. gf flour blend*
1 tsp xanthan gum
1/4 tsp salt

*GF Flour Blends can vary, which means your results can vary. If you have an all purpose baking blend that you swear by, use it! Just check that there is xanthan gum somewhere in the process and experiment away. The one that I used for this and the cinnamon rolls is a pretty basic and commonly used blend that uses 4 c. brown rice flour, 1 1/3 c potato starch (not flour), and 2/3 c tapioca starch. Put these amounts into a gallon ziploc bag, seal it and give it a good shake. Keep it in the fridge for your next batch.

Add butter and sugar to a large bowl, beat or cream together until, um, creamy. Scrape down the sides at least once. Add egg yolks and vanilla, beat well again, scraping down the sides as needed. Turn the mixer to low, add the flour blend, xanthan gum (if it is not already in your blend!) and salt. Once incorporated, beat well until it looks like cookie dough.

Now, I made these slice and bake because I am not big into the effort of roll cookies except for at Christmas, but if you want to roll them out and use cookie cutters, just cover the bowl and refrigerate for at least an hour or until firm. Then roll out between two sheets of wax or parchment paper to about 1/4 inch thick and cut into whatever shapes you like. Use a little of your flour blend to prevent sticking to the paper/cutters.

If you are a lazy mommy like me, take half of the dough and put it in the center of a 10 or so inch square of plastic wrap (I use Press and Seal), fold it over and squish it into a log, sealing the ends and rolling it into a little tube. Repeat for the other half of the dough. Put one in the fridge and the other in the freezer for the next time you need a sugar cookie on the spot. It will probably keep in the freezer for a couple of months.

But for today, refrigerate the one dough log for at least an hour. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line a cookie sheet with a piece of parchment paper. When your oven is preheated, take the dough out of the fridge, unwrap it and slice it into about 1/4 inch thick slices. Lay out about an inch or so apart. Bake for 8-10 minutes or until the edges are golden. Let cool until you can't stand it anymore! Each log makes about 18 2 1/2 inch cookies.

They are very buttery and rich, and best when fresh. An excellent cookie with a glass of vanilla almond milk!

No comments:

Post a Comment