Saturday, June 4, 2011

Chocolate Banana Teff Muffins

I am not a fan of chocolate in the morning. It was baffling to me the first time I tried a chocolate chip muffin, why on earth would I DETEST the concept of dessert for breakfast? I love chocolate any other time of day, I would (and have) eaten Oreos and M&Ms all day long if I could, but there's something about the overly sweet richness in the morning that just turns my stomach.

So when I chose to make these teff muffins this morning, I almost omitted the cocoa powder, thinking I would save myself the heartache of a ruined baking attempt and maybe I just knew what everyone else was missing, that chocolate + muffins = gross.

I was so wrong.

Against my better judgment, I included the cocoa powder. It made the muffins a notch above delicious. It added depth, and a dark tone that balanced out the light sweetness of the banana, like a hint of dark chocolate. You could probably add another tablespoon or two if you want a stronger chocolate flavor.

Teff is an amazing little grain, full of protein, iron and fiber and low in fat. I initially wanted to try it for the fiber and iron, since Brooke has low iron and we can all use more fiber in our diets. I was hesitant though because I had no idea what to expect when it came to taste. The recipe on the package looked harmless, but it used olive oil for the fat, which suggests a savory muffin, i.e. my children won't touch it. I found this recipe and modified it slightly:

http://glutenfreeinslc.blogspot.com/2010/03/banana-teff-muffins.html

The original recipe is from Gluten Free Girl, who is like the Barefoot Contessa of the gluten free cooking scene, meaning her stuff is fresh, seasonal, beautiful food that is a bit more high-brow than my kids are willing to try.

http://glutenfreegirl.com/and-finally-theres-teff/

http://www.teffco.com/index.html

The consistency of these muffins is about like a light bran muffin, but the banana makes it moist, so much so that you won't need to add butter or jam. The recipe makes 18 muffins, so I will have plenty to freeze and reheat for a quick nutritious breakfast or snack. They are surprisingly filling, as well. I ate two with a cuppa tea and am satisfied.

As I write, Kate has eaten one and a half of these! And 3/4 of an early summer peach. And a yogurt. She's like a termite.

Chocolate Banana Teff Muffins

Wet Ingredients
2 large or 3 small ripe bananas, mashed with a fork
1/2 c butter, room temperature
1/2 c sugar
1/2 c brown sugar, packed
2 eggs, room temperature
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 cup light sour cream, room temperature (could use yogurt instead, just not fat free)

Dry Ingredients
1 c teff flour (I used Bob's Red Mill)
1/2 c sweet rice flour
1/2 c sorghum flour
1/2 c tapioca flour
1/2 c almond meal
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp salt
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp xanthan gum
3 Tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder (I used Hershey's)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Prepare two muffin pans with liners or cooking spray. (I did not need to flour the tins, Crisco cooking spray did the trick!)

In a large bowl, combine all dry ingredients and whisk together. Set aside.

In a small bowl, mash the bananas, set aside.

In another large bowl, cream together butter and sugars. When they are just creamed, stop mixing. I used a stand mixer, but this recipe doesn't really demand it.

Add the eggs, vanilla and sour cream and mix, scraping down the sides as needed.

Mix in the mashed bananas on low. When combined, scrape sides and beaters as needed.

Get out your big girl muscles and a rubber spatula. Gradually fold in flour mixture, about 1/4 of a cup at a time, until just combined. At first this will be very easy, but by the last few additions, you will have to put in some effort.

Spoon into prepared muffin tins, about 2/3 full or so. I don't make all of mine uniform because a)I don't work in food service where uniformity is crucial, and b) I like to give Kate and Brooke the smaller muffins and T the bigger ones, I'm weird like that.

Once the batter is spooned into the tins, I tap the bottom of the pans on the counter to get out any large bubbles of trapped air. I don't know if it matters on this recipe, but it's a habit.

Place in the middle of your preheated oven and bake for about 18-20 minutes or until firm and a toothpick comes out clean, it might be a little damp from the moisture of the banana.

Remove from the oven and let cool for about 5 minutes. Enjoy a filling and delicious breakfast!

No comments:

Post a Comment