Friday, July 15, 2011

Random updates...and a little pee

Brooke just went pee in the potty!!! I don't know who was more surprised, her or me. We had a little party in the bathroom for her, Kate was so cute, she was very encouraging and said, "Good job, Sister!"

We moved her into her new twin bed yesterday after a successful week in the toddler bed, and so far she has transitioned pretty smoothly. The first two days were a little bumpy, but then she figured out how to play for a little while and then lay down in her bed. I'm a little shocked at how little she protested or tried to escape, she tends to be a stubborn little miss.

I'm working on sewing a bedspread for Miss Brooke, it is chenille and so it is super linty, there is lavender fluff all over my house right now. Maybe someone can teach me how to upload pictures to this blog so that everyone can see it when it is complete...

In other news, I just found out that there is a GF B&B in San Antonio, as well as a GF cafe/bakery, so maybe the next time we head that way we will give it a try. And the links from the Chicken Paradise website would definitely help anyone who is GF traveling to San Antonio or the surrounding areas.

http://www.thelittleaussiebakery.com/
http://www.chickenparadise.com/

Thanks to my friend, Julie, for the info. She is such an inspiration to me for many reasons, but the knowledge that she has shared about all things gluten has been life changing for me. I cannot begin to express how truly amazing this lady is, I want to be just like her when I grow up!

So, all of a sudden, a bunch of the women in my life have taken the plunge, either voluntarily or otherwise, into the world of stay-at-home momming. Epidemic level. And none of my SAHM friends are entering the work force, but I have a feeling that will be happening sooner than later.

I have been thinking about tips for these moms on how not to burn out, and how to enjoy your time at home, but the truth is, I am burned out and I don't always enjoy my kids. There are days when I am so fed up with not listening and picking up their stuff and changing peed on sheets and preparing meals that by the time T gets home I am downright surly. So who am I to advise? Donna Reed, I am not, I'm more of Mommy Dearest on those days.

Mommy: "Kate, Brooke, go upstairs, it's naptime."
*crickets chirping*
Mommy: "Kate, Brooke, it's time to go upstairs now."
Kate: "Let's play Polly Pockets, Brooke."
Mommy: "GO UPSTAIRS, NOOOOOWWWWW!"

Wailing, running, stomping ensue.

Deep breaths. Or more screaming, it's a crapshoot.

But on the days when I love my job and my life, I think I am a great mom. I am present, I am interested in what they are doing and think of ways to make activities fun.

So I guess the big thing about being a stay-at-home mom is that you don't have job evaluations to track your progress. You can do great for a week and have a really bad couple of days and no one is going to fire you. You can work really hard and maybe no one notices. Or you can phone it in and watch Cinderella twice in one day and they say, "This was the best day ever!"

So cut yourself a break. Take it a day at a time. Look at their sweet faces. Think about saying yes instead of no. Give hugs in place of time out or spanking. Think before you speak.

And I say all of these things because I have done the opposite and felt terrible. I have learned the hard way that losing my temper just scares my children and makes them sad, and makes me sad as well. It doesn't teach anyone or solve anything.

So now they are both up from nap and it is a new day! Kate has just reminded me that she is waiting patiently for her drink. What are some of your learned-the-hard-way parenting tips?

No comments:

Post a Comment